I will admit that when I first saw the theme my heart sort of sank. I thought to myself.. how can a person whose favorite thing to do is go to new places and leave all the old behind have a favorite spot? I really struggled with this one. I used to love visiting my grandparents home because it was sooooo consistent and friendly. Always good smells out of the kitchen. I’ve loved beaches and mountains and valleys and deserts. But one spot? Really just one? Impossible.
THEN.. I began to think of all the places I have been and how I got there. Usually by car. My favorite thing to do is travel. Either air, train, boat or car but I’ve usually traveled by car. THEN.. I began to think of all the fun times I have had in a car.
Road trips with my family have been the one thing that has been consistent in my life. Maybe it’s because my dad was a truck-driver and going on trips with him as a child was my favorite thing to do, I became a life time road trip fanatic.
Time spent in the car with my kids, my parents, my sisters. Talking, playing road games, stopping at random lookout points or stopping for a cup of coffee or at a diner for a meal was such an adventure and even now planning these things excites me. Staying in hotels or campsites and passing through small towns or giant cities or riding the car ferry and having coffee up on deck is exciting. I can’t think of a more favorite (million spots).
Really, these things have been the cornerstone of my life. My all-time favorite thing to do. Falling asleep while someone else is driving and waking up to a new world. The grand vistas from one end of the U.S. to the other. WOW! My country is city, country, field and stream. Mountains and valleys, rivers and gorges. My country is majestic. The car on a long road-trip is probably my absolute favorite spot.
“We are torn between nostalgia for the familiar and an urge for the foreign and strange. As often as not, we are homesick most for the places we have never known.”
from Carson McCullers
Another great theme this week Jake! You can go to Jake’s sunday post – and check out other blogs with great images he has posted.
Here’s how the weekly photo Competition works:
1. Each week, we’ll provide a theme for creative inspiration. Show the world based on your interpretation what you have in mind for the theme, and post them on your blog anytime before the following Sunday when the next photo theme will be announced.
2. Subscribe to jakesprinter so that you don’t miss out on weekly challenge announcements. Sign up via the email subscription link in the sidebar or RSS.
- SUNDAY POST : Favorite Spot (jakesprinters.wordpress.com)
- Road Trip (traveldestinationbucketlist.com)
- Road trip it or fly? (minnesotatransplant.wordpress.com)
- Sunday Post: Favorite Spot (ohmsweetohmdotme.wordpress.com)
- Sunday Post: Favorite Spot drieskewrites.wordpress.com)
- Top 10 Best Road Trip Movies EVER (epicatravel.com)
- Thread of the Day: What’s Your Favorite Epic Drive? (wot.motortrend.com)