It’s so pleasant!
Sun Smiling For you…
Trees Dancing for you…
Birds singing for you…
Because I requested them All to wish You. HAPPY DASHAIN
Well, It is the only quote I could find and understand for this 15 day festival in Nepal called Dashain. Dashain (Nepali: दशैं) Dashain is celebrated for approximately 15 days and involves prayers (pujas), food offerings, holy bathing, blessings through coconut oil and the sacrifice of thousands of animals including several hundred thousand goats, chickens, buffaloes, ducks and pigeons by almost every Hindu household in order to appease the goddess and hope it will bring good luck and festivity.
There is a movement towards ending the sacrifice of animals for this festival and the numbers have actually dropped over the past few years. However, it is a cultural event that still continues and I was able to attend one such happening at the start of this festival. This particular sacrifice was a puja for automobiles and safe driving.
It was an interesting experience. I was not bothered so much by the slaughter of the goats because after the puja the goats were used to actually feed families. Nothing went to waste and people felt safer driving.
Along with the puja I was able to walk through the city which was nearly empty according to the locals. Apparently during the festival most people travel back to their local villages to visit their families. At the time I walked through the city over 2 million people had already headed home. I am including some photos from the day from sacrifices to parades I hope you enjoy.
- Happy Dashain 2070 (apinampa.wordpress.com)
- The Jittery Goat Travel Log – Places I’ve Been; Zone, Ohio 9/25/13 | The Jittery Goat
- My Happy Place | Strange to Others | sylphontheloose
- नेपालीको महान चाडमा सबै नेपाली लाई ह्याप्पी दशैँ र तिहार !!!!!!!!!! (netwanet.wordpress.com)
- An Odd Space | Godrick Gnomish
- Stranger in a Strange Land? No. | RPMAS
- Durga Puja-2013 (gkslens.wordpress.com)
- Travelling In Hell | Life Confusions
- Living in the west with values of the east (nepaliaustralian.com)
- Other Cultures Celebrate
- Syphoned | The Magic Black Book
- strangest place. | hitting a brick wall
- Armenoi, in Crete! | alienorajt