Initially we celebrated the 4th of July back in February. I know.. I know.. I really didn’t understand what was going on because.. well.. it was February. I had NEVER heard of celebrating our nation’s holiday five months ahead of time. Apparently there were good reasons for it. Though I can’t necessarily be convinced.
In essence, we celebrate the 4th of July to honor the adoption of the declaration of independence. We claimed independence from Britain on July 4, 1776 and lo and behold Democracy was born. We take this time to celebrate that event by eating hotdogs and hamburgers with our family and friends or even just groups of random people. There are usually fireworks, popcorn, and children running wild. So in honor of this great tradition, we commenced celebrating our 2nd fourth of July for the year.
It started out so normal….
The singing of our national anthem and the raising of our flag…
Next came the food.. apparently not delicious but still fairly normal..
Oh and who doesn’t like a little popcorn, ice cream and ..uh.. tarot reading..
Yes, there were kids.. not necessarily running amok.. but there were kids.. docile kids standing in a line.. waiting to have their faces painted. A huge contrast to my own childhood.
There were ponies, face painting, nail art and henna tattoos, pottery making and cotton candies.. yeah you heard me, more than just one..
Oooohhh yeah.. carnival rides.. that’ll be fun..
Then it got a little weird.. strange there wasn’t a line..
And then just plain frightening.. There was a clown.. JUST ONE!!!! Maybe if there had been a couple of them.. or they were dancing in a line or juggling.. maybe it wouldn’t have been so frightening.. OHHH SOOOO VERY FRIGHTENING.. I know of at least one baby who cried and two grown boys who were terrified. They tried to act like they weren’t but they were. Every where I looked there he was// or she was// or it was!!!!! In retrospect.. I suppose I WAS only looking at the cotton candies.. I mean.. I really wanted some but that clown wouldn’t leave.. I eventually had a child bring me one.
Lucky for me.. right before I left.. I was able to see something to remember exactly why I was there..
Happy 4th everyone!!
In response to the daily wordpress challenge I now present to you other posts showing contrasts that I enjoyed:
- Chittle Chattle Weekly Photo Challenge – Contrasts
- SERENDIPITY FRAMING THE SKY
- Monochrome Contrast
- Life is a Vacation 2 Men, Music and Light
- Across the Bored Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrast
- Retired2Travel Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrast
- drycrikjournal Riding Drag
- Jasper Smits Contrast
- The Bass Rock – Mittened Hands
- Morbid Is as Morbid Does Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrasts
- Stefano Scheda Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrasts
- The Rider Contrasts- Weekly Photo Challenge
- Cee’s Photography WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrast
- codziennik Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrasts
- scrapydo Contrast – Weekly photo Challenge
- Northwest Frame of Mind Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrasts
- Words We Women Write WPC: CONTRASTS
- Beyond the Brush Photography Nature’s Contrasts
- Third Person Travel Contrasts-WP Weekly Photo Challenge
- The other pictures. Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrasts
- Today, on Earth Contrasts
- Mad Meandering Me Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrast (Take 2)
- Chris Breebaart Photography / What’s (in) the picture? Weekly Photo Contest: Contrasts (Breakers Noordwijk)